Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Making Retreat with the Jesuits

This last weekend, I 'made' a silent retreat with some sixty men, almost all Catholic, at a the Demontreville Jesuit retreat center near St. Paul. Most of the folks in this crowd were spiritually intentional laypeople, some served as deacons in their parishes, many had attended this retreat once a year for more than twenty years. It was silent: other than a conversation with the retreat leader, I was silent from after dinner Thursday night to dinner Sunday night.

The retreat leader, Father Jim Flaherty, teaches philosophy at Marquette University. He's a grad of JSTB, the Jesuit school that's part of the Graduate Theological Union (which includes Starr King School); we connected in remembering our times in Berkeley.

For a person who grew up with little contact with Catholic rituals and traditions, the learning curve for me was quite steep! And I had to work overtime to translate theology, language and narrative into something that I could work with in my own UU context. These Jesuits know how to pray! Like many UU's, prayer has been an issue for me, and I've struggled to find its utility in my process-based theology. I want to see prayer as more than just 'talking to God', certainly more than 'telling God what to do' (I saw a lot of that in the south). The retreat offered a number of methods for introspection and contemplation, for getting out of the head and into the heart. I hope to explore how these connect with other practices I've encountered (Buddhist, Islamic) and my own passage meditation practice.

5 comments:

Lilylou said...

Hi, Matt, I just discovered your blog. It seems to me it might resonate deeply for other seminarians. You might consider asking UUpdates and DiscoverUU to put you on their updates machine, so that it gets out there a little more.
Kit

Joseph Fromm said...

Matt,
I really enjoyed reading your post. I would be interested in what particular parts of the retreat you enjoyed most? What scriptural meditations did you find most helpful?

Joe Fromm

Gannet Girl said...

Always glad to find someone else surprised and delighted by how Ignatian spirituality resonates for those of us who aren't Catholic.

Matt Alspaugh said...

Thanks, Kit for the info.

Joe and gannet girl,
Yes, delighted is a good word.
One of the gifts for me was learning to pray the Examen. I've been using it nightly since I returned.
The five steps given to us are:
1. Pray for light.
2. Review the day in thanksgiving.
3. Review the feelings that surface in the replay of the day.
4. Choose one of those feelings (positive or negative) and pray [or contemplate] from it.
5. Look toward tomorrow.
(source: Dennis Hamm)
I think this kind of daily review would be useful for very many folks from many traditions.

Another surprising aspect of the retreat was the richness of dreams I had on two of the nights. Father Flaherty warned us this could happen!

Joseph Fromm said...

Yes, the dreams!
Read the Discernment of Spirits, found within the Spiritual Exercises for some insight.
Thank you for sharing.

Peace

Joe