Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Staying Behind

Today is the first day I'll go to our work site, the home belonging to a man named Matt in the lower ninth ward. We are doing significant finish work with the hope that he can move into it in the next week.
First UU Church of New Orleans, where we have been staying, has asked us to leave four or five people behind each day to work on projects around the church. Some of us groused about this request. I have chosen to stay behind the last two days. I have found myself in the role of informal crew chief, since our real construction talent is out on the work site. We've installed some drywall and replaced a bathroom sink.
In its own way it has been satisfying work. I see all these things as interconnected, and the work on this church is as needed as the work on the house of a Katrina survivor. This church has made supporting pilgrims like us a part of their mission, and I am glad to support that mission, and through that I indirectly support the work of rebuilding community.

Photo: Several of us working with Matt on exterior siding.

No comments: