Thursday, December 13, 2007

Advent

Last night at the board meeting, a focusing question was, "Should UUs celebrate Christmas?", and everyone said "yes". I think a more interesting question would be, "Should UUs celebrate Advent?"

I had not even heard of Advent in UU circles until a couple of years ago, when an interim minister brought it to my UU congregation. I vaguely remembered Advent from my Methodist past, but that was the simple ritual of a child, focusing on lighting the candles and the wreath.

I'm finding I love the focus on quiet, on darkness, on expectation that Advent brings. This attention is a wonderful counterbalance to the commercial frenzy, the network of obligation that Christmas has become for many of us. Advent allows some of us to acknowledge that this time of year is an ambivalent time, and create space in the season to reflect on losses, pain and difficulties we've had. Some would do this with the rituals of Blue Christmas, but I think Advent has room to explore these in its ambivalence, and yet to also hold up hope for something new.

Photo by Per Ola Wiberg

No comments: