Sunday, June 29, 2008

Casting my Lot

On Saturday night, the two candidates for UUA president debated. I tried to hold an open mind going into this presentation; after all, my role at Unity Church was the "Hallman Intern", honoring her as a former congregant, and yet the minister of my home church is Peter Morales. I found myself leaving presentation still somewhat ambivalent, but casting my lot with the Morales ticket. Peter articulated issues facing the UUA quite well, though I would like to see Peter develop a more positive message of change for our movement. Laurel's message seemed to me to be 'let's stay the course', and I had hoped to hear something more visionary from her. Maybe that's my message to both candidates: offer me an expansive, bold, but possible vision, and I'm yours. Peter's attention to growing the movement - evangelism - seemed to be the best current articulation of vision. I look forward to the unfolding of this campaign, and to deeper reflection from both candidates.

No comments: