Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Going with the Flow

I've been slow at posting because I've been so busy working on the Men's Retreat, among other things. The retreat was this last Friday and Saturday. Sunday, I preached at Unity Church. Normally, I take some time in advance to prepare for the service, but this service was a bit compressed. I did write the sermon early in the week, but was editing it Sunday morning. So that, plus my tiredness from the retreat gave these services a more improvisational sense. I made a lot of little gaffs, and tried to correct them as best I could.
  • I left the wireless microphone on while I was getting coffee and conversing with a congregant serving coffee. The early arrivals hear all this in the sanctuary.
  • I forgot to light the chalice in the first service, and had to be reminded by the worship associate.
  • I said, 'Wellspring Wednesday Worship Circus' instead of 'Worship Service' (and admitted that it sometimes is!)
  • I completely forgot what the ritual words are for singing the children out at the second service, so I just pulled some words out of the air.
  • I grabbed too many offering baskets for the late service, so again ad-libbing the ritual words, I held onto two baskets.
  • My worship associate and I have to deal with where to stand for singing and how to recess at the late service, because the stage for the children's musical has been erected. We do this with hand signals and by watching each other closely.
In earlier days of my learning, I'd have really beat myself up for any of this. Now I just chuckle. There is joy in this, even in the gaffs.

No comments: